All Launceston suburbs declared nbn™ ready
Launceston has become the first city in Tasmania to be declared ready for service on the nbn™ network.
The major construction milestone was celebrated as nbn announced last week that nationally the network had now passed three million premises ready for service.
In Tasmania, more than 59% of the network is ready for service, with planning or construction underway in all other parts of Tasmania.
The milestone for Launceston means it is now one of the most connected regional cities in Australia.
According to nbn data, around 40,000 premises are now in ‘ready for service’ suburbs in urban Launceston.
Meanwhile, work continues across the greater Launceston region, and further into the North East with the continued building of fixed wireless towers.
Remote and regional areas in the North East can already access the nbn through services over the Sky MusterTM satellite.
nbn Corporate Affairs Manager Tasmania, Russell Kelly, said:
“The rollout occurs suburb-by-suburb – and for urban Launceston, all suburbs are now declared ‘ready for service’.
“It means that residents and businesses in urban Launceston can contact a retail service provider and order an nbn service.
“It is a tremendous opportunity for Launceston, and especially business, which now has a world of possibility for growth and innovation using services over the nbn™ network.
“Declaring urban Launceston ready for service also marks the completion of a major rollout effort by nbn and its delivery partners.
“Hundreds of employees and contractors have worked on the project over the last four years, encountering and solving problems that were challenging and often unique.
“The managers, designers, construction contractors and field workers deserve thanks for sticking to the job.
“The knowledge and expertise is now being used in other states as they continue the rollout.
“There’s never been a better time to check the website at www.nbnco.com.au to see if you can connect.”
More information about the nbn™ network rollout is available at: www.nbnco.com.au/3yearplan
nbn Media Hotline
M: 0437 100 276
P: 02 9927 4200
Download construction video footage
Notes to editors
- The full list of communities where construction on the rollout of the nbn™ network is scheduled to begin before September 2018 can be viewed at www.nbnco.com.au/3yearplan
- Communities can also check the progress of the rollout of the nbn™ network in their area by typing their address or postcode into the interactive nbn™ network rollout map, which can be viewed here
- The exact number of premises and the regions covered by the plan may vary once nbn has finalised its construction planning.
- The anticipated technology to be deployed in communities may change depending on a number of factors once the construction planning stage has been finalised. Some areas may be serviced by multiple technologies.
- The technology designation for each community will be guided by nbn’s Multi-Technology Deployment Principles.
- nbn provides services to its wholesale customers, telephone and internet service providers, and does not provide services directly to end users.